Friday, May 29, 2009

Arrival in ROMA!

After a long and grueling (not really) plane ride [via Frankfurt] I have arrived in Roma, Italia.
The weather is perfect right now, but it's supposed to get a lot hotter. Surprisingly, before I left good old Texas wasn't as hot as it usually gets by early march.
Anyways, once I arrived in Rome and grabbed my bag from baggage claim I wandered out expecting to see a sign with my name and Plan II/AIRC on it. Alas, there was no such sign nor was there a person. After twenty minutes of desperation and walking back and forth in front of any driver that was holding a sign, my driver, Orlando, popped out of no where with my sign. (I think he was there the entire time, just not holding the sign up...sketchy, I know--but it gets even better!) On the way to my apartment he tells me this driver gig is just a part time job and that really he's an undercover cop...
Also on the way to the apartments, the Italian president needed to get somewhere so that was another 10 minute delay-and the traffic is awful. There are no lane divisions in the road, but at times there five cars (lanes worth of traffic) where back home there would be two lanes. Anyways, I finally arrived at the destination to be greeted by fellow bffs Ishanee and Eric. (they each had awful days and mine wasn't nearly as bad...)
We went out to eat at this nice little ristorante and then trekked to the Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona (all within 10 to fifteen minutes from the apartment) There's just something special about Italy in the nighttime. There was a lot of the touristy bustle, but being in the presence of these architectural and sculptural wonders is almost otherworldly to me.
Today: the Vatican!

Pictures from Trevi and of our apartment coming soon!

3 comments:

  1. Ahhhh the Vatican! Say hi to the pope for me and don't miss the catacombs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course you went to Piazza Navona. You would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Vatican is soooo amazing! St. Peter's is absolutely breathtaking, and the Museums are spectacular, to.

    Sorry to hear your first day getting there wasn't so great, though. How are the apartments? Do you have fans? What's the neighborhood like? Touristy, or lots of natives? Oh, and I hope you stopped by the Pantheon when you went to the Trevi Fountain, because it's practically next door!

    P.S. - one of my absolutely favorite gelaterias is in Piazza Navona. when you're facing the palace-y thing, it's in the back right corner. they have banana bread flavor gelato, and it's absolutely delicious! =)

    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete